Friday, February 10, 2012

Now What? - Registering information...

September 6, 2011...
Just as my fears of college had begun to assuage by wonderful friends and wonderful times, reality struck again. Looking at my calendar of future events, I realized that that my school days would begin to accelerate at unfathomable levels. Two projects due in two weeks, then a Spanish paper, then something else...it just keeps going! What’s highly surprising is how accurate the explanation of college was, but we didn’t want to believe it; two hours for every hour in class, what the hell could that mean? Realistically, every day in class is very doable but...the rest of it...why would they do this to us? I might be complaining but even for the upcoming workload, it isn’t impossible to finish. My first art history paper is only two pages long and double-spaced, and Math exams have always come naturally to me. So what am I worried about? Recently, I had an appointment at ESS, the education help services, about time management and it turns out I’m doing everything right...so far. I have many mistakes in my first week, which I will point out here: never listen to a comedy album while studying at the library, never take a nap at the reading room where everyone can see you, never forget to double-back all over your essential files in case a certain computer program can’t read a Pages file, and never forget to learn the schedule of every building so that you're not standing outside of the Cleveland Institute of Art on a Saturday morning in 100 degree weather like an idiot. Also, there’s girls. They’re every-where. Also boys. There are over 3,600 students here at Case. That information can make anybody claustrophobic. It hasn’t been completely terrible. After much rearranging, I’m finally in a suitable Spanish class, Intro to Spanish Literature, with a great professor and 10 other classmates. I saw Clerks this weekend, probably the most disgustingly entertaining film I’ve seen. Seeing how terrible the clerks‘ jobs were, it made the ridiculous situations they got into more bearable. I participated at the fraternity rush and unexpectedly met this amazing troupe of characters from Delta Chi. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were my friends for life. Plus, I finally got the textbooks I needed so I’ve been catching up on the reading for my first-year university seminar, very interesting material. It might be too soon to ask this question but when will I become an official college student, the person brimming with responsibility, ambition, and confidence? So far, I still feel like a high school student with all these obligations that have to taken care of. Do I become a college student when I begin to enjoy working on these projects? Well, that would make the workload more bearable. Friday was the worst day of the week. Class was fine, but it was after class where things just didn’t feel right. I ate a hearty breakfast and lunch, and then headed up to the library to read my Philosophy book. I just couldn’t do it; all of the undergoing pressures of the day just fell right upon me and boredom overtook every thought. For the first time at Case, I felt completely abandoned of mind and spirit. Thankfully, an appointment at ESS and a 1000-pc puzzle temporarily misplaced those thoughts but I don’t know what I’ll do if I experience it again. This is a four-day week so it’ll move by quickly. We’ll just have to see.

NW? - Intro                                                               NW? - Progress

No comments: